Saturday, August 4, 2012

Descending

Teton Wildflowers
I am on borrowed time.  

Everything from the hours remaining before Justin, my lead supervisor from the Park, inspects my shelf in the refrigerator, my side of the closet, and three-drawer bureau to turning in my badge and Park keys, to the 28 minutes left as a "guest" on this Signal Mountain Lodge computer.

It is 9:00 am and the day has already been complete.  I just cast my line at Oxbow Bend having woken up, unexpectedly, four hours earlier.  I opted to put on my alpine rated parka (it was 40 degrees this morning) and head out to Gros Ventre/Antelope Flats to photograph a famous rising sun on the Moulton Barn.  This area northeast of Blacktail Butte opened for homesteading in 1908, as a number of Mormon families filed claim for land out West.

Waiting For....
Morning Light
Here, the sky beforehand casted colors of lavendar on the Tetons -  all else waited knowingly in shadow.  I really cannot convey how quiet and spectacular it was. It was much more than an image. 

Being in these Mountains has been no different.  I learned to step deeply into them, accepting the challenges and gifts they presented me each of these summer days.

Two days ago I took the Tram up to the top of Rendezvous Mountain with hazed views due to a western Idaho fire and unusal strong western winds.  I was left at 10,450 feet with a planned descent to what was to be a spectacular alpine Marion Lake.  Thanks to what I knew were becoming blisters I reluctantly opted to descend a shorter 12 mile hike through Granite Canyon.  At the sub alpine levels I touched wildflower fields like I had never done before. And then there was that cooling, healing snowfield that offered my feet respite.

That day, for me, was a reminder that I had to let go of the trail I had hoped for and embrace the one I was on. 

Facing West
Descending Rendezvous Mountain
My Descent into Summer Snow







The Trail 
With less than six minutes left before I "expire" (on this computer), even more difficult, the less than six hours I have before I leave these Mountains behind, I am really humbled by all they have given me.  They are things - tangible and intangible - I can always call upon and choose to carry with me. 

Yes. I am ready to head home.

Wildflower Fields
Granite Canyon









1 comment:

  1. Elaine -
    I am so impressed -what an amazing journey. I can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete