Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Risk

Photo - Jenny Lake Park Rangers - GTNP
Fires are burning out West.  Today they announced in Jackson Hole that all public fireworks, typically held at both Teton Village (ski resort) and downtown Jackson, are cancelled.

The fire risk is extremely high here.  I am entering my 3rd week in the Tetons and there has been no rain - not one drop.  Every day is hot and sunny -often with temperatures in the high 80's, and nights cool off quickly, dropping into the high 30's and low 40s.  I said to someone I feel I have a fever - learning to acclimate to fluctuating temperatures. 

As a result of this extreme between hot and cold, strong winds develop around the canyon and lake regions in early evening.  It is interesting, and the fire risk - along with the fires burning just east of here in Bridger Teton Forest, are somewhat concerning.  There are advised alternative routes - and all emergency and park service employees are on pretty diligent watch.  In fact as I type, there are emergency scanner reports that smoke cover is becoming more visible -  from the Bridger Teton Forest as afternoon winds gust. 

Jenny Lake Rangers - Photo of Rescue
Risk seems to be part of the culture here.

There are the mountaineers who attempt, and often succeed, in climbing these Mountains to the Jenny Lake Rangers, Park Employees who, in times of need, are called upon to assist them.  These Rangers are part of the elite.... humble and strong in nature.  They tell their stories through there courageous deeds and service -  consisting of training and operations involving search and rescue within the Park.

There have been two climbing fatalities in the Tetons this summer - higher than average.  When not on duty listening to the Park dispatch, you can hear of potential rescues or recovery through the sounds of helicopters in the mountains.
Climbing History of Grand Teton National Park
On Display at CTDVC


Today I delivered my first public presentation called "Map Chat".  As a Park Ranger Interpreter, I must develop and turn in curriculum for each program I give - complete with goals, lesson objectives, materials, activities, intro and closure - forcing a strong reflection on the practice of teaching. 

There were 43 adults and children in my program.  It focused on giving orientation to Grand Teton National Park and an oversight of wildlife, safety, and adventure, both historical and current. 

Ranger Brassard Delivering Park Program


I, too, am on an adventure of my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment