Sunday, July 22, 2012

New Altitudes

GTNP Badge

That first step was all about precision.

My first week of induction into the Federal Park System meant learning to press my Park Ranger uniform correctly, centering my badge, and aligning my nametag a nickle's width above my right pocket.

Step two was getting "comfortable" being in that ranger uniform - assuming authority to patrol a "bear jam", instructing kids chasing two black cubs for photo ops at Signal Mountain to get back into the Suburban, suggesting an equally clear message to their parents.

Then there was a "rise" to learn to field visitor's questions - being familiar with the hiking trails, historic Park landmarks and correctly identifying wildflowers of Columbine, Sticky Geranium, red patches of Indian Paintbrush and delicate lavender Harebell.

My first patrolled hike I covered three miles of trails at Phelps Lake.

Stepping up meant "signing up" for the Exum Mountain Safety Class offered to Park employees.  By saying "yes"to a challenge it gave me an amazing opportunity to reach new heights, plunge, and practice self-arrests.... several of them head first, bracing with an ice-axe, in declining snow fields.




Exum Mountain Safety Class for Park Employees
June, 2012 - Tetons
No one said any of this was going to be easy.

Another participating ranger, with an adventurous gleam in his eye, reminded me, without ever telling me, to not over-think those self-arrests.  Thank you, Justin, for letting go of my feet before I even had the chance to say "release.   I performed a near-perfect stop at subalpine heights.
Indian Paintbrush on Phelps Lake Trailhead

This week I think I reached a new height -  an elevation of 9035 feet.

The 16-mile RT trek to Lake Solitude through Cascade Canyon was amazing.

The ascent could not have fallen on a more perfect July day in these Mountains....75 degrees, blue morning skies, cumulus clouds to cool off under on the return.

More impressive was the experience of depth and dimension I had being in these Mountains and in that canyon - something you cannot fully appreciate until you "step into" the Grand Teton range.

Five weeks ago I wasn't sure I could do any of this - never even scanned the topographical map for anything considered strenuous level.  A flatlander covering a 3000 feet elevation increase to close to 10,000 ft and sixteen miles in 7 hours?

The bull moose that day in Cascade Canyon at the base of a waterfall, me kicking through a melting snowfield, identifying sub alpine flora of Moss Campion, Subalpine Spirea and Sulfur Paintbrush, and the one-hour nap at Lake Solitude - where nothing could stir me (although the Marmots got close)...were amazing.

These are "ascents" I will always remember....and they are ones that go well beyond the climb.

Cascade Canyon

Wild Columbine

July at Lake Solitude

Hiking the Tetons








1 comment:

  1. Just got caught up on your fantastic blog postings. I am *jealous* :)

    ReplyDelete