Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Global Awareness



Twenty-three Ambassadors visit GTNP

Experience America 2012


With their love of politics, I am pretty certain our colleagues Beth Mylroie and Ted Jordan will appreciate this entry and the opportunities the moment I experienced presented.

While working at the Craig Thomas Discovery and Visitor's Center this past Satuday morning, I met 23 ambassadors from five continents visiting Jackson Hole and Grand Teton National Park. 

The trip was arranged by the U.S. State Department as part of the "Experience America 2012" program with the intent of educating other nations about our country.

The aim of this program is to generate cultural exchange, international good will, and can launch mutually beneficial partnerships between businesses, organizations, and local governments.

I took advantage of being on the clock that Saturday morning and, in uniform, greeted several of the ambassadors.  I introduced them to Grand Teton NP, explained my position as a Teacher/Ranger and the educational and personal exchange this TRT program has created between National Park Programs and students and adults from the town I live and teach in.

With a brief description of lobstering and kayaking ocean waters and Portland Headlight and our own Acadia as well as my jobs as a Cape Elizabeth teacher and an LL Bean Outdoor School Instructor, Maine was hopefully embedded in their memory and geographical maps.

Featured in the photo below is Ambassador Dhanojak Obongo, the first Ambassador of the Republic of South Sudan. 

My immediate thoughts about this experience?

I now have even a stronger conviction that our "educational systems" need to believe in the value of outreach, exchange and professional opportunities to benefit both teachers and students and to enhance our public schooling.

I need to ask  - from both this brief window of summer opportunity I have to serve and teach and develop curriculum in our National Parks, from this random Saturday morning exchange with 23 ambassadors -  what good, what value, what ideas and consideration of standards have potentially been created - for me as a person and teacher, for our classrooms, for our children, and for the conservation of our National Parks?

I know the answers.


Ambassador Dhanojak Obongo from South Sudan

Elaine Brassard Teaching in GTNP

A Favorite and Newly-Inducted Jr. Park Ranger - Sammy!



No comments:

Post a Comment